Born in 1941 in Tacoma, Washington, Dale Chihuly was introduced to glass while studying interior design at the University of Washington. After graduating in 1965, Chihuly enrolled in the first glass program in the country at the University of Wisconsin. He continued his studies at the Rhode Island School of Design where he later established the glass program and taught for over a decade.
In 1968, Chihuly was awarded a Fulbright Fellowship to work at the Venini factory in Venice, Italy. In 1971 in Seattle, he cofounded Pilchuck Glass School which has become an international glass center. Dale Chihuly is credited with having revolutionized the studio glass movement with his ground breaking accomplishments.
His work is included in over two hundred museum collections worldwide. Chihuly has created many well known series of works, among them “Baskets,” “Persians” and “Seaforms,” but he is also celebrated for large architectural installations. In 1995 he completed “Chihuly Over Venice,” and in 1999 he mounted his most ambitious installation “Chihuly in the Light of Jerusalem”.
In 2001, the Victoria and Albert Museum in London curated “Chihuly at the V&A.” “The Chihuly Bridge of Glass” in Tacoma, Washington was dedicated in 2002. His first garden exhibition was presented in 2001 at the Garfield Park Conservatory in Chicago.